Sunday, January 10, 2010

Weekend Ramblings

Evolution of the WA anti-hoon law

Spent the last couple of days being amused by firstly, how restrictive and inflexible our state's anti-hoon law was (any car found contravening the law would be seized, regardless of whether the driver is the owner of the car e.g. the car would be seized even if the mechanic is the one driving it), secondly, how resistance to change the minister was to the law, even when it was not making sense and thirdly, I was even more amused by how quickly the minister was willing to change the law after the news has been published and was criticised by the public.

Watched The Avatar (finally!)

Gotta blog it (just because 1. it's my first ever 3D movie and 2. everyone else has an opinion!).


Anyone who have been reading the papers or out and about would have known to either book their tickets online or rock up early to ensure tickets availability. Well, I knew, but I just didn't get around to doing it.


There were only 40 seats left in the room when we bought our tickets, so not only did we have to sit in one of the front rows, our seats were on the left hand side. So we had to sit through the movie in an awkward angle, my stomach was slightly queasy from the 3D effect from a wrong angle, and I had to use my hand to keep the 3D glasses on my non-existent nose bridge throughout the movie.


Having said that I really enjoyed the movie! The plot was not original (we came out feeling like we have watched a replay of Pocahontas, or Dances with Wolves) but there were a few things that kept me intrigued and engaged all throughout, if nothing else:

- The breathtaking sceneries and exotic creatures on Planet Pandora, and the angles from which the movie was filmed (lots of close-up's and zoom in's) to create the most amazing 3D effect

- I found the blue species of "people" strangely very attractive and captivating in their lean, fit forms, large eyes, skimpy costumes and smooth movements (Sam Worthington looked better blue)

- I always love fantasy movies and watching things which are pure creations of the minds, things which can keep my mind off the real world for a while (I am a kid at heart like that)


I found the 2.5 hours, $20 and sore arm to be worth my while - what about you?



My handsome blue hunk

Love the box

Have been looking forward to the weekends more these days. It's more than just the fact that we're not working and I can sleep in... but it is also the 2 days of the week when Will and I can sit down together (on the comfortable couch which I picked) and watch our latest favourite Korean dramas.

Latest fave: IRIS

If you like action movies, or movies about detectives and CIA agents, or movies about conspiracies, or if you just like watching the flawless features of Kim Tae Hee, you would enjoy this drama. Apart from an all-star cast, the drama also has a catchy sountrack and some spectacular scenes shot from Japan and Hungary. IRIS is still currently being aired in Korea as I type this, so I think a translated or subtitled version will only be available in DVD a couple of months from now.

The flawless Kim Tae Hee

No comments:

Post a Comment