Thursday, December 1, 2011

On Married Life

I have been asked 2 questions a lot lately... 1) How is married life? and 2) When are the babies coming?

Now on married life...

6 months into the nuptial arrangement (I know, SIX months already!!) I would say... we're doing ok. In fact I think we're doing better than ok.

We were told to expect the first-living-together-arguments, and though there were a few bickerings, there was nothing serious. I think the 6 years of going out prior to marriage helped spread them out a little (and the to-do white board helps too).

More time is now spent on house chores (time which I would rather spend shopping), but they have quickly become just part of the routine. I think we divide the tasks between us well, and I get to do the laundry and cooking which suits me better than the vacuuming and mopping.

The most significant adjustment for me was not so much living together with the husband, but it's more about NOT living together with the family. I spent a lot of my life coming home to a noisy and lively household and having meals around a table full of people. Now I come home to a house with me and the husband. Although initially difficult, like everything else, we quickly fall into a routine where we would visit the family a couple of days throughout the week and that made it ok. I now look forward to Saturday mornings where I go grocery shopping with Mom (and sometimes if there's time, some other type of shopping too).

And now, slowly, I have started to enjoy coming home in the evening to a quiet house. Where I can lash out my creativity in the kitchen while the husband exercises in his "gym". And then we both sit down to dinner and he compliments me on the food and I ask him about his day. We will then watch some criminal shows on TV (or his collection of Futurama DVDs) and if it's a good day I would get a bit of rub on the back. And when we get tired we go to sleep.

And I love it. I love the simplicity of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment