Saturday, December 12, 2009

Mom's Christmas Function

I received a call from Mom while at work the other day.

"You're always very free on Saturdays aren't you?" Mom asked.

"Uhhh... " (I knew she was right, but I wasn't in a hurry to admit to my sad state of life) "Sometimes. Why?"

"My company's Christmas party. We're entitled to bring a guest. Can you come with me?"

I said yes. Well, it's an opportunity to dress up, meet some people and have a free lunch at a nice venue - why not?

I attended the lunch function this afternoon. I put on one of my favourite skirts (knee-length, flowy and floral) and a black top to suit the smart casual dress code and combat the 37-degree heat. We arrived 20 minutes earlier to mingle at the pre-lunch drinks. The hallway was nice and cool. Some of her colleagues were friendly and made conversations with me. So far, so good.

As we were herded into the function room something struck me as odd. Not everyone brought a guest. And those who did, with the exception of mom and another lady, they brought their partners or spouses. So I whispered to Mom and asked her whether it was true that everyone was entitled to bring a guest.

She then grinned at me and whispered back "Initially I thought so when I invited you. Then we were told that we can only bring partners. So I did not tell them you are my daughter." She looked slightly triumphant.

At which point I started to feel a little dizzy. Dizzy with not knowing how to react. What must the other people be thinking? Did they think I'm Mom's partner?? (what the-?) Or did they know what was going on but was too polite to point that out? What was Mom thinking??

At that very moment I felt so ... Asian.

Now if you're Asian you can probably relate to what I mean and how I felt. Asian people, particularly Chinese, have a penchant for wanting the best value out of everything, at whatever cost. We would stand at a stall and negotiate for 15 minutes over a $10 pair of stockings. We would take along the whole family along to a wedding reception to make up for the gift that we prepare. At a continental buffet breakfast we would eat until we can no longer move, and then sneak a couple of apples into our bags for snacking throughout the day.

That's the inherited value of being Asian. And that was how I felt at that exact moment.

I realised I had two options then. One, I could sneak out of the room and tell Mom that I'd come back for her when she was done (and avoid the embarrassment of someone coming up to me and asked who I was). Or I could stay on and try to have a good time, regardless of what others think of me.

I then looked at Mom. She seemed so ... happy. She had not stopped smiling since we arrived. It was close to Christmas, she had worked hard all year round and now she was given an opportunity to have fun and celebrate with her colleagues and with people she loves (namely, me). Everyone around us was having a few drinks and a bit of fun, and generally being warm towards me. I love Mom to bits. I could not just leave. So I decided to stay.

2 hours later I was glad that I did. It was fun after all, despite how unsure I felt at first. I ate a little, drank a little, chat a little, danced a little. At one point I was even singing Jingle Bells along with the live music band performing on stage. Apart from a couple of questioning stares at the beginning no one questioned my presence.

And best of all the petit fours that were later served as dessert were scrumptuous. Between Mom and I we would have had at least 6 of them, together with a cup of mousse.

After all we are Asians. We felt obliged to eat our value worth at a buffet lunch.

2 comments:

  1. It's an Asian thing. I totally agree. The funny thing is, sometimes our mothers know us better than we know ourselves. I've only been able to accept this now that I'm practically an old woman myself.

    Love your blog.

    I'm a Perthie now in Sydney :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun being Asian in its quirky own ways :)

    ReplyDelete