Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Wigs or no Wigs

Have lost some weight. I think it's due to the busy schedule, an untimed combination of Chinese New Year, the engagement, family members visiting, operating Style Reverie and a new project starting up. On weekdays I'm running from a client meeting to another and updating websites, and on weekends, I'm running from shops to airports to Bridal Fairs. Funny how you unsuspectingly lose weight when you're not trying, but always fail to do so when you desperately try to.

Saw in the papers yesterday a picture of the WA lawyers and judges donning their wigs for the last time. A decision was made end of last year to abandon the centuries-old tradition. Due to curiosity I did a bit of research after I read the news on why in the first place lawyers wore wigs. Interestingly, I couldn't find a single consistent answer as to the reason (not online anyway). Answers range from the portrayal of impartiality, to self-protection; to it's just the way they dressed in the 1600 and they never got around to updating it. I guess the decision to abandon is probably sensible then. If it is unclear to the people wearing it why they are wearing it in the first place, then the reason for wearing it cannot be that important - no?

Nevertheless the decision would have been less painful if Will and I hadn't spent hours (and hundreds of dollars) in Sydney a couple of years back to hunt down the perfect wig.

No comments:

Post a Comment